Sunday, March 31, 2013

From the OR to the Tomb: My Thoughts on Easter

Most of the stuff I write about on my blog is funny and, to be honest, relatively inconsequential happenings from my life. I do that partly for you (because I think that's what people want to read about) and partly for me (because I need a comedic outlet to deal with the stresses of medical school).

Today, though, is Easter, and my thoughts are on things that are not inconsequential. Although faith is important to me every day of the year, Easter brings a special and specific reminder of why I believe the things I believe and why I live the way I live.

As a med student, I study non-stop about the presence of physical health, the absence of it during sickness, and how the medical community attempts to restore it. Trillions and trillions of dollars and millions and millions of lives have been devoted to the restoration of physical health to the sick.

Even so, physical health is of secondary importance to spiritual health. Why? Physical health, good or bad, is ultimately temporary. Spiritual health, though, is everlasting. Our physical existence is but a small dot on the endless timeline of our spiritual existence. For me, that really puts things in perspective.

One of my favorite scriptures is Mark 2:17 (also found in Luke and in the Book of Mormon). It reads,

 "When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole  have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

And there you have it! Jesus Christ is the great physician. In fact, He is the GREATEST physician. His mission was to provide us with a path, and He did. With the helping hand of our Savior's Atonement, the prognosis for our spiritual being is eternal happiness. This Easter, I am grateful for Him and to Him. For all that He did and all that He is. He is my rock. He is my physician, and He knows exactly what I need when I need it how I need it. The tomb IS empty, and that means everything to me.




HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE!

 Here are a few relevant extras.

This picture (Painted by Greene):


 This video (by LDS Apostle Jeffrey R. Holland. What is an Apostle? See Definition of an Apostle.):






From the video above, 

"May we declare ourselves to be more fully disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, not in word only and not only in the flush of comfortable times but in deed and in courage and in faith, including when the path is lonely and when our cross is difficult to bear. This Easter week and always, may we stand by Jesus Christ “at all times and in all things, and in all places that [we] may be in, even until death,” for surely that is how He stood by us when it was unto death and when He had to stand entirely and utterly alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment